Friday 13 July 2012

Thing 8: Google Calendar

Calendars are taking over my life at present, or it feels that way!

Fortunately? My family and friends are a disorganised bunch! Nothing is ever really planned further than a month in advance, that's enough for it to remain in my head, just how I like it for personal events. My Android phone is rarely a meter away from my hand at any time but I rarely use Google Calendar for the reasons stated and have much less use for sharing a calendar.

That sort of fell apart when I synced my work Outlook calendar to Google. On numerous occasions at work I was late for meetings or sessions on the desk where I was already in a meeting away from my desk, away from the safety net of my Outlook reminder. Syncing has saved me no end! I get a satisfying, distinctive buzz from my phone when I should be somewhere or doing something (oddly before I am alerted via Outlook!) We have/are in the process of upgrading to Microsoft 2010 packages, Outlook here is already proving more satisfying especially for sharing calendars. The main reason, you don't have to! Although details are kept private I can see a colleagues calendar to arrange meetings without the faff of the scheduling assistant. I have used this to my own ends in the journals team to overlap individuals calendars.

One thing I have tried without success recently, where I think maybe Google calendar specifically might help is a live background. For a while I have been looking to use a calendar as my background so it's always open and visible and programme applications sit in front. I think this may have been easier in XP as you could use a link for your background? Windows 7 doesn't seem to be so easy, has anyone achieved this?

No comments:

Post a Comment